GEOSTAT 2011 Summer School in Landau
GEOSTAT is where statistical computing meets geographical analysis
GEOSTAT is a non-profit specialized block course (summer school) run by FOSS enthusiasts and developers. The main idea of GEOSTAT is to promote various aspects of statistical analysis of spatial and spatio-temporal data using open source / free GIS tools: R, SAGA GIS, GRASS GIS, FWTools, Google Earth and similar. In the summer of 2011 (24.-27.7.2011) the GEOSTAT Summer School took place at the University Koblenz-Landau on the campus in Landau. The summer school was broadcasted via live stream and recorded so that everybody who missed out can still watch the videos online or download them.
Below is the course program with the link to the respective video kindly hosted by the Internet Archive. Also the data files can be downloaded in case you want to repeat the workshop exercises or analyses.
If you download the videos and play them locally the quality (especially sound quality) may improve!
For more general information on GEOSTAT visit this website.
Program (with links to the videos)
Welcome note by Ralf Schaefer (information on logistics, research at institute etc)
Introduction to GEOSTAT by Tomislav Hengl (general course information)
Representation of spatial objects in R by Roger Bivand (News and introduction to working with spatial objects in R)
News and updates to GRASS GIS and OSGEO by Markus Neteler and Markus Metz
Spatial and temporal data representations in R by Roger Bivand
- Representation in time and space - entities, support, processes, separability, modelling
- Spatio-temporal data analysis in R packages - status and outlook
SAGA GIS Tutorial by Jan Wehberg and Alexander Czech
- GIS-Basics, Coordinate Systems, Development and Architecture of SAGA, Key Features, First Steps
- Raster Data, Color Composites, Histogram and Scatterplot, Filter, NDVI, unsupervised and supervised Classification, Change Detection, Object Based Image Analysis, Terrain Classification
- How to use SAGA for Geomorphometric and Insolation Analyzation
Spatio-temporal variogram models - how to fit them, how to use them (in R) by Edzer Pebesma
- Introduction to S/T data in R and the spacetime package; variogram modelling
- Spatio-temporal variogram models and spatio-temporal kriging and simulation; comparing and evaluating S/T variogram models, cross validation strategies.
Visualization and analysis of geo-data by Tomislav Hengl and Dylan Beaudette
- Introduction to MySQL, PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Visualization and interpolation of soil variables (National Soil Survey Characterization Data) stored in a PostGIS
- Linking R, PostGIS, QGIS and Google Earth
- exercises with live data
Optimisation of Spatial Sampling Designs (in R) by Gerard Heuvelink and Olivier Baume
- Definition of optimal spatial sampling design, overview of numerical optimization techniques
- Complex optimization problems with multiple objectives, real-world example (choosing locations for radiation monitoring)
GRASS GIS Tutorial by Markus Neteler and Markus Metz
- GRASS GIS Intro, getting started
- Overview of the functionality in GRASS, exercises with selected modules
Spatial Interpolation Comparison using R by Tomislav Hengl
Finally, one of the presentations from the first day as a teaser.