Stay Abroad




We have dedicated this page to provide you with everything that you need to know about your stay abroad. If you are looking for general information concerning your stay abroad, have no idea where to go, what to do or how to finance it, this is the right place for you. You will find information on the different ways to go abroad, be it as a student at a partner university, as an au-pair in a family, or simply working and travelling. This page serves the purpose of providing you with as much help and information as possible to help you plan and make your stay abroad an unforgettable experience.



  • Deadline for ERASMUS applications: January 15, 2023
  • International day "Ich bin dann mal weg...": Wednesday, 14 December 2022, 11 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.


General Information

The stay abroad is mandatory for all our study programmes, except for those who decide to go into primary school education (and started studying English before WS 2021/2022). However, for these students as well, we highly recommend spending time in an English-speaking country. A good, native-like pronunciation and a correct and fluent English is, needless to say, vital for all teachers of English. We would also like to point out that an experience abroad is something very special, an experience that will have a positive impact on your life as it not only helps improve your English skills but also broadens your horizons, helps you meet new friends, experience other countries and cultures, as well as different walks of life, etc. Most, if not all of our students who have spent time in an English-speaking country, say that this was one of the greatest experiences that they have had (see below for student reports). There are numerous possibilities for going abroad to spend a longer period of time (and not just a vacation) in an English-speaking country. Moreover, everybody can afford to go abroad if they are willing, for instance, to work in order to support themselves during that time. Listed below are the different possibilities that will help you make your stay abroad possible.

The red tape information first: You need to have your stay abroad accredited. For this, you have to fill out the accrediation form (please note that there are two versions – one for students who started their studies before WS 21/22 and one for students who started in WS 21/22 or later) and hand it in together with your documentation of the stay abroad (flight tickets etc.) at the department's secretary's office. If you are unsure about whether or not your stay abroad will be accredited (e.g. because of the country that you selected), please contact us. Please note that your stay has to be at least 90 days long.