Frequently Asked Questions


  • Who is required to do a stay abroad?

Every ongoing secondary school  English teacher for the German school types Gymnasium, Realschule plus and Berufsbildende Schule is required to complete a stay abroad. If you are an ongoing primary school teacher, however,  a stay is not mandatory; nevertheless, it is highly recommended to consider a stay abroad to improve your language skills. You are therefore definitely welcome to spend some time in an English-speaking country. Should you be enrolled in the dual-subject Bachelor programme with English as your major, a stay abroad (at least 3 months) is also required.

  • How long should my stay abroad be?

You are required to spend at least 3 months in an English-speaking country.

  • When should I do my stay abroad?

This is completely up to you. However, we recommend to first complete your Oral Skills Course (Module 2) before going. The stay abroad is a part of the Bachelor's programme and can be completed at any point convenient to you during that time.

  • Is it possible to divide my stay abroad into smaller parts or is it to be completed without breaks?

It is not possible to split your stay abroad into smaller parts. It is required that you stay in the English-speaking country of your choice without any breaks and technically it is also not allowed to visit home for a few days during your stay abroad.

  • Can I complete my stay abroad during my semester break?

It is possible to complete the stay abroad during your semester break and it is also something that is frequently done by numerous students. For this the break between your summer and winter term is generally enough. It is also possible to return from your stay abroad after the break during the first week of university. Most of the time an arrangement can be met with your tutor and there should not be any problems if you do not attend your classes in the first week due to completing your stay abroad.


  • Where can I spend my stay abroad? Are there any specific requirements?

Your stay abroad has to be completed in an English speaking country. The United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States of America or New Zealand are particularly suitable for this. Should you be interested in going to other countries, South Africa for example, we highly suggest you consult the English department in order to avoid possible problems.

  • What can I or what do I have to do abroad?

There are no specific requirements as to what you can do abroad. There are numerous possibilities such as studying at a university or working as an au-pair. Moreover, you can also work and travel or do a work placement at a company of your choice. The possibilities are endless. Please note that it is important you are exposed to the English language on a daily basis by being in contact with native speakers. This in turn will significantly improve your language skills. If you are unsure as to whether what you want to do abroad will also be approved by the English department or not, you are more than welcome to contact us or find ideas on our Stay Abroad homepage.

  • Do I have to inform someone at the English department before my departure?

No, you are not required to inform anyone at the department before your departure. This can be done completely independently. However, you might need to consult the according faculty member should you wish to transfer course credits to your home institution. Here you can find the form for the accreditation of the course credits you acquired abroad:

  • Do I have to apply for a leave of absence should I want to go during my semester?

You don't have to necessarily apply for a leave of absence to do your stay abroad. The advantage of this is that the time you are gone will not be counted as an official semester which can be important and particularly beneficial in case of Bafög payments. However, you are still required to pay your semester fee and have to keep in mind that during your leave of absence, you are not allowed to complete any modules by participating in exams. Should you upon your return wish to hand in a term paper, you will not be able to do so until your leave of absence is over. A lot of students prefer to complete their module 7 exam, which is an oral stay abroad follow-up exam, immediately upon their return as the language skills are still freshly present after the time abroad. With an active leave of absence, you will also not be able to complete module 7.

  • Which partner universities does the University of Koblenz -Landau have?

Here you can find a list of all of our partner institutions and their coordinators at our department. 

In England you have the choice between the universities in Sunderland and Birmingham. The exchanges to both universities are conducted through the ERASMUS programme (click here for more information on ERASMUS). This means that within this programme you will not have to pay any tuition fees and will also receive monthly financial aid. Please note that applicants with the subject combination English/German are favoured for two out of the four spots for the University of Birmingham. The other two spots are assigned regardless of the second subject. 

Another university is located in Limerick, Ireland. This exchange is also conducted through ERASMUS and the requirement for admission is the subject combination English and German.

It is important to note that your grade average plays a significant role during the application for ERASMUS as it is a scholarship and students with good grades are favoured. 

Generally, it is not a bad idea to consult one of the coordinators in our department should you want or need more information and in order to avoid problems during the application processes. The department also keeps lists of students who are interested in the exchange programmes offered and it is not a bad thing at all to have your name on this list.

There are also partner institutions in the USA and Canada. Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore offers only one exchange spot, provided they send one of their students to Koblenz first since the exchange has been rather one-sided for the most part. You can consult the Loyola University appointee Jody Skinner for more information on the availability of an exchange slot towards the end of every year. Bishop's University in Canada also offers one exchange spot. Should you be interested in applying, please note that your grade average is even more important than when applying for ERASMUS. This, however, should not discourage you from applying.

An additional university is Fisher College in Boston, Massachussetts. The coordinator in our department is Dr. Sarah Schäfer-Althaus. Should you be interested in going to Fisher College, feel free to contact her for more information.


  • What can I do to study at a partner university?

The coordinators to speak to, should you be interested in going to England or Ireland, are Prof. Meyer (Sunderland) and Prof. Juchem-Grundmann (Limerick and Birmingham).

In order to get accepted to one of the above mentioned universities, you first have to file an internal application in our department. The deadlines are usually the end of January if you want to go abroad in the following winter term. An application generally consists of a CV, an official copy of your grades taken from KLIPS and a letter of motivation in which you state why you want to go to the university of your choice and what courses you are looking at taking. Furthermore, you have to fill in the official ERASMUS application form. For further information, please visit the link below:

Of course, your application has to be in English so that the coordinators get a brief idea of your language skills. It is, therefore, of high importance that your application is grammatically and stylistically seamless. To get all your application details correct, we advise you to visit your coordinators during their office hours to avoid any problems. An application at multiple partner universities is also a good idea; you should, however, state the university of your preference.

The coordinator for Canada and the United States is Jody Skinner. For more information on a study abroad programme at a partner university in Canada or the US, please contact him or visit him during his office hour.

  • Can credits acquired at a university abroad be transferred to my home university?

Yes, theoretically you can transfer credits that you acquired at a university abroad to your home university. To do this you need to first consult the instructor at the University Koblenz-Landau who is in charge of  the module you are interested in taking and want credits for. To make sure the credits actually can be transferred, you should present to him or her the following: the content of the course, ECTS or similar, the level, etc. This way they are able to decide whether or not it is possible to transfer the credits for this particular course. You also need to fill in a credit approval form. Keep in mind that it can be rather difficult to transfer credits for courses you have taken abroad and has often lead to frustration in students who were not able to transfer their credits. To be on the safe side, it is always a good idea to check with your instructor to avoid any problems and disappointments.

  • What do I do when I am back in Germany?

After you have returned from your stay abroad (at least 3 months), you need to see the module 7 appointee to get your stay abroad approved or validated. For this, you need the approval form which you can find here:

Approval Form (login necessary)

Module 7 appointee: Dr. Fred Thompson


You will also need valid proof of your uninterrupted 3-month stay. Flight tickets, rental contracts, labour agreements, recommendation letters from your host family, official abstracts of grades from partner universities or an ERASMUS confirmation are generally considered to be valid proof of your uninterrupted stay. Should you have stayed in the UK, it is possible that flight tickets only are not enough for it is very easy to interrupt your stay by going home for the weekend. It is also not possible to just provide a letter from a relative who lives abroad confirming your stay with them. If you want to make absolutely sure, it is always a good idea to provide photographs of you during your stay. For further questions concerning the valid proof of your stay, you are more than welcome to contact the module 7 appointee, who will be more than happy to help you with your query.

  • Are there any specifics to be considered if my stay abroad is within my dual-subject Bachelor?

You definitely need to keep in mind that if you choose English as an elective 2 (Anglistik als Wahlfach 2) in addition to English as your main subject (Anglistik als Basisfach), the module 7 of the elective will then consist of three module parts which you have to do during an actual study abroad that is mandatory at this point. Keeping this in mind, it might be beneficial to plan your stay abroad accordingly and maybe decide whether or not you want to go ahead and study at a partner university right away and get your module 7 for your elective done instead of doing work & travel. Should you be uncertain and/or have questions concerning this topic, please do not hesitate to consult your module 7 appointee.