You can either apply for one of the apartments in the halls of residence or look for accommodation on the private housing market.

Master's students in our english-taught master's programs can apply for one of the apartments reserved for international students. If you decide for this option, please note that your stay there is limited to six months.


Halls of Residence provided by the Student Services („Studierendenwerk“)

The Student Services („Studierendenwerk“) are an independent organisation which runs most of the halls of residences in Germany. The University of Koblenz-Landau works closely together with the Studierendenwerk in Koblenz and Landau.

Every semester we reserve a small number of apartments exclusively for international master's students for the following programs:

  • Chemistry and Physics of Functional Materials
  • Ecotoxicology
  • Environmental Sciences
  • Mathematical Modeling of Complex Systems
  • Web Science

The application for these apartments is dealt with by the local Welcome Centers in Koblenz and Landau. This reservation service is for international master's students only, as it is more difficult to organise accommodation from abroad. German students need to apply to the Studierendenwerk directly.


In Landau the monthly rent amounts to 310 € for an apartment (including bills and internet).

In Koblenz the monthly amounts ranges from 264,17 € to 290 € (including bills and internet) depending on the specific hall of residence.


Remember: The early bird catches the worm! Therefore, please apply as early as possible since the number of rooms is limited and we allocate rooms on a first-come-first-served basis!


Terms and Conditions

There are certain terms and conditions that you have to agree with when applying for an apartment of the Studierendenwerk:

  • As to the regulations of the Studierendenwerk, apartments can only be offered to applicants that are younger than 33 years.
  • Only students from abroad can apply for an apartment through the Welcome Center.
  • Only a limited number of apartments are available. We cannot guarantee rooms for all new students.
  • The apartments can only be rented for one whole semester, i.e. from 1. October until 31. March (winter term) or from 1. April until 30. September (summer term). You will have to pay for the full period of 6 months, even if you arrive later or leave earlier. As the rental period is six months only, during this time you will have to look for alternative accommodation outside the halls.
  • If an apartment is offered to a student and the student accepts the offer, the apartment will be reserved for him/her and the contract is closed. Please note that the contract is binding and you will have to pay the rent and security deposit regardless if you are coming to Germany or not.
  • The final lease agreement will be made between the applicant and the Studierendenwerk. The University is not involved or liable in this agreement.
  • Enrollment at the University of Koblenz-Landau is required for renting an apartment at the Studierendenwerk. After moving in, you must enrol as soon as possible and hand in your enrollment certificate at the Studierendenwerk. Deadlines for handing in certificates are 15. November (winter term) and 15. May (summer term).
  • On campus Koblenz the Studierendenwerk offers a starter package to every student moving into a hall of residence:
  • Students staying in a hall of residence in Koblenz have to pay a cleaning flat rate of 80 €.


Please note!

If you bring a partner or/and family who are not enrolled at the University of Koblenz-Landau, you cannot apply for an accommodation in the student halls of residence. In this case please look for an accommodation on the private housing market!



Apply for an Apartment NOW


If you are an international master's student and interested in an apartment of the Studierendenwerk, please write an e-mail to the points of contact you find below:


  • The application procedure for Koblenz has two steps.

1. Please send an email to Ms. Julia Szakun-Solf, Welcome Center Koblenz, ( with the following information:

Full name:

Uni-assist number:

Study program:

Date of your visa interview:

It is mandatory to indicate the date of your visa interview. Without stating the date it is not possible to offer an apartment in a student halls of residence to you.

2. In the second step students applying for an apartment in Koblenz have to complete and submit the online form:

Please do not forget to confirm your application after receiving a first email by the Koblenz Student Organization/ Studierendenwerk Koblenz.




    Please provide the following information  in your e-mail:

    • Your full name
    • Your uni-assist applicant number
    • The master's program you applied for
    • Do you need a visa? If yes, state the date of your visa interview (mandatory)



    Alternative Options for Accommodation


    If your application for the Studierendenwerk was not successful or if you prefer a different type of accommodation, here are some links that might help you with your search for accommodation on the private housing market. Please consider applying for several accommodations at once to have a plan B.

  (basic information given in English) (in German) (in German)


    You can also have a look on the facebook website of the relevant study program:

    Facebook group for Landau

    Web Science on Facebook


    Please be aware that most accommodation in Germany is rented out without furniture. This means an unfurnished apartment sometimes does not even have a fitted kitchen. Therefore, please always double check if the apartment is furnished or what furniture is included.


    If you search for an accommodation on the private housing market from abroad, please also be cautious. Unfortunately, there is also fraud. Sometimes there are online ads for apartments which do not even exist.


    Please be cautious if…

    • you are asked to transfer money via Western Union or to arrange similar international transfers (this usually means that it is extremely difficult to track those people who received the money).
    • the landlord says he will send the keys via mail. This is not common in Germany. Usually, you receive the keys when you have arrived and move in.
    • the landlord does not agree to arrange a viewing.