Number of cases Mainz: 0 (warning level Grün) Action plan

Number of cases campus Koblenz: 0 (warning level Grün) Action plan

Number of cases campus Landau: 2 (warning level Gelb until 09.03.2021) Action plan

Health Insurance

For students a health insurance is obligatory in order to study in Germany. This means you need to show a proof of your health insurance when you enrol at the University Koblenz-Landau.

Private travel or emergency insurances will not be accepted for enrollment. However, they may be required for visa application. We recommend you to arrange a travel health insurance for your journey to Germany and then to take out a regular health insurance when you are in Germany.

Finding a German health insurance…

If you are not covered by a health insurance from your home country or any private health insurance, you need to choose a German health insurance which covers your stay in Koblenz/Landau.

In general, there are two kinds of health insurances in Germany, private health insurances and public/statutory health insurances. Students can register with any public/statutory health insurer. These are obliged to offer special student rates (for students who are not older than 30 years) and are usually more economic than private health insurers. Once you have signed the health insurance agreement (please take your letter of admission with you to show that you will be a student at the University Koblenz-Landau), the health insurance company can issue you a document which states that you are insured (it is called “Nachweis über den Abschluss einer gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung”). You can use this document for your enrollment.

You are welcome to look for a German health insurance before your arrival. However, since it can be quite challenging to understand all conditions and options, you can also choose a health insurance company after your arrival in Koblenz/Landau. During the Welcome Days we will support you in finding a health insurance in Koblenz/Landau.

If you are older than 30 years, you can only opt for a private health insurance. Prices for this type of insurance vary depending on your personal background. If you require support regarding this matter, please let us know.

Exception: Students from EU-countries

Students who come to Koblenz/Landau from an EU-country are usually covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). They can show their personal European Health Insurance Card to a public insurance company in Germany. The insurance company will then issue a document called “Bescheinigung über die Befreiung von der Krankenversicherungspflicht” (Proof of exemption from compulsory health insurance). This document will be accepted for enrollment as a surrogate of German health insurance.

Recommended: Private Personal Liability Insurance (“Privathaftpflicht”)

In Germany you are personally liable for any damage that you cause to other people or their property. Accidents can happen easily and may have expensive consequences - you might break a window, knock over a vase in a shop or cause an accident involving a pedestrian or a cyclist. If a person is injured in an accident caused by you, you are liable not only for material damages, but also for compensation, hospital and rehabilitation costs and for the loss of earnings of the injured party. It is, therefore, highly advisable to get a personal liability insurance which will cover the costs of such accidents. Insurances are available starting from 40 EUR per year at nearly every insurance company.

Recommended: Accident Insurance (“Unfallversicherung”)

University Koblenz-Landau recommends all students to take out an accident insurance, as well.